Which are you?
- Inspire you and send you a message that, “If they can do it, so can I.” Or “Just tell me what you did and I will do it to.” Or, “I can top that.” OR
- Turn you away with thoughts like, “They started so long ago so I already feel left behind.” Or “I could never get there.” Or “It came so easy for them.” Or “I’ll try, but who knows.”
And to those who are in the testimonial – the person with the before and after tale to tell - sometimes the best way to help those who aspire is to show them that where you began is no different than where they are starting.
Sometimes, the testimonial person forgets the struggle of just beginning. Sometimes the one succeeding forgets how they viewed other testimonials prior to their own success.
Regardless whether you are the person who is inspired by success stories or intimated, one thing remains true through and through:
You can only do what you believe you can do.
And the ONLY way you can show yourself
what is possible is to begin.
Some people look at where I am today and they feel motivated to begin a similar journey. Others only see who I am today and judge me for “not understanding the struggle” …. At least until they learn where I’ve come from.
At one point in my beginning, I was able to see 200 on my scale. I suffered so much inflammation that I could hardly reach my own feet to take off my socks. I was diagnosed with a rare autoimmune disease; a disease my mom witnessed kill a woman only 5 years older than me, approx. 20 years earlier. I had to move back home with mom after leaving a corporate job just so I can get better. I spent all the money I had on a naturopathic physician after learning about the detrimental side effects the allopathic medication could cause.
Even still, I experienced skin lesions covering 2/3 of my body and I would sometimes have my hands tied up at night because I would scratch the insane itching so intensely that I’d wake up in blood. I hated fruit and hardly liked veggies… I preferred soda over water… The list goes on. Don’t even get me started on my potato chip habit!
And then, six months after diagnosis,
I broke my back in four places and was laid up in a brace and had to relearn so much as an adult.
What used to be bald spots on the right side of my scalp have now been replaced with wild baby hairs as they grow back in. I have a better complexion than what used to resemble a strawberry who went skiing and is still wearing ski-glasses. I opted for education over medication, and mostly, I drastically changed my life.
Then, in September 2014, my 57 year old mom died unexpectedly and my symptoms flared up in ways I have only read about. Aside from my physical health changes, I stopped working my business and I wasn’t sure if there would be anything left when I was able to come back. I didn’t earn income as a result for about 5 months. My business needed a reboot and I had to be a beginner again.
And recently, I’ve become a beginner again as I am learning to fly planes and will soon get my license. I forgot what it was like when learning to drive a car. I forgot how foreign a car’s mechanics was to a beginner until I realized how odd it was to fly into the sky in a plane.
And again, another opportunity to be a beginner; I’ve started a new business at www.AvaByStephanie.com, and in less than 4 months, I became one of approximately 150 Executive Consultants in the US, and one of only 4 in the state of California.
OVERCOMING THE BEGINNING
- Q: Was I afraid that the “natural approach” to my disease would fall short and I may die from it?
- A: You betcha, but I was not willing to consider the alternative treatment so I worked through the struggles.
- Q: Was I broken to the point of not wanting to live when my mom died?
- A: You batcha. I still struggle in ways I never knew a grown-up does when they lose a parent. Mom was my best friend. Sometimes I am a beginner in that department everyday. But here I am… a year later and still learning and growing. I cannot begin to express the difficulty this loss has caused and how defeated it can make me feel if I allow it.
- Q: Was I scared about flying a plane?
- A. No. Let’s move on.
- Q: Was I skeptical of the other Executive’s successes in this business?
- A: COMPLETELY! We have consultants making 6 digit figures per year in this business and if I hadn’t seen their statements, I may not have believed them.
- Q: Did I fear I couldn’t do it?
- A: And sometimes I still feel fear trying to convince me I can’t. My reply is, “Just keep doing what you’re doing consistently and it is only a matter of time before I’m there too.” And now, nearly 4.5 months into this business, I cover my rent with my income and I am leading a team of 39 people.
Set your pace and maintain it. You do not have to promote to Executive in less than 4 months to continue on with success.
From one of the Top Earners in my company:
“I reached STAR in 1 month, Double Star in 2 months, Triple in 6 months and Executive in 9 months. Bronze was 13 months. But yet, there are people on our team that were among my first team members that didn’t work their business at the pace I did and with the consistency [and they haven’t promoted similarly].”
And for those not considering the Leadership opportunities, but want to own their own business without the extra responsibility of leading, you will EARN INCOME in a matter of a month or two, tops. Again, it is based on effort entirely. If you are starting a new accounting firm, you can't merely consider a few who you think might be interested and then give up when not enough people hire you. You reach hundreds, you join the chamber, and you keep pushing until you build it. TRY!
HOW TO SUCCEED ANYWAY
What keeps me pushing on despite challenges is my DREAMS.
I want to help other people discover how well their body is designed to feel. And I want to have this job while traveling the world – free from any regular schedule or single location.
I remind myself of the WHY?
I represent a product line unlike any I have ever seen; and having managed health food stores, I’ve seen thousands of products claiming to be the best. It is what our products DO NOT HAVE (ie. health-damaging toxins, fragrance, etc) that sold me on them. The fact that they also work beautifully and there is a business opportunity in offering them to others was only a bonus.
I help people start small businesses that create a means for their WHY while promoting chemical policy change on a global level.
I remind myself of my former FEARS
I remind myself of where I was after my back was broke. Will I walk normal? Will I always have pain?
I recall the depths of anguish that caused physical pain unlike any I had known after my mom died. Will I breathe again? Can I live on? Do I even want to?
I recall how often I cried when I first started this business. Being a highly trained and readily referred holistic health practitioner, I presumed that my longest friends would immediately take my word at how harmful ingredients are and how amazing this product line was. I assumed they would either SHOP instantly or JOIN me on this business. I was so wrong. Aside from a couple friends, my business began with acquaintances and darn-near strangers. I still have very little support from the area I thought would be the strongest.
DO IT ANYWAY
Regardless how short or long it takes me, I’m on this road and NOTHING will derail me. Not even mySELF. I challenge you to the same.